Monday, June 30, 2008

Monday Afternoon - NECC

I'm a little overwhelmed at the moment, but more than that, I'm frustrated because I can't seem to get a wireless connection in any sessions I've attended except at the very beginning and very end. It could be there are many people trying to access the wireless (this is a technology conference anyways), it could be my computer (it's been giving me fits...it's time for a new computer), or a combination of both. Needless to say, I have now walked back across the street to my hotel room and plugged into the wall (because this hotel does not have wireless...hmm...).

I decided that I was not going to carry my computer around when I really should be typing as little as possible (see previous post about hand) and I can't even get onto the internet anyways. I am going to drop off my computer (lighten my load), post a blog, and head back over to the convention center.

If I had to sum up, in one word, my first two session this morning... Humbling.
I chose this word not because they were such amazing presentations (and they were!) and not because it was information I had not heard before (though I always learn something new), but because of the overwhelming feeling I have to be better at what I do to impact our 21st century kids. Sometimes I feel like I'm spinning my wheels and talking to a brick wall, but I come here and realize it's all worth it. I feel like a small insect in a big forest, but then, as David Warlick pointed out, we all have the capability to publish information. In my book (figuratively speaking, of course) - that is one way I can make a difference. It's very humbling to think that I can post this information and people from all over the world can read this information or I can stand up in front of teachers sharing a learning experience with them and, hopefully, use the information to their benefit and the benefit of our kids (why most of us do what we do).

Okay...enough of that. :)

David Jakes - One Hour PowerPoint: A Strategy for Improving Presentations

I realize that this presentation was intended for teachers to use to help their students become better at presenting; however, since that's my job, I was able to find wonderful strategies to make me better at my job. We were introduced to 10 practical ways to improve presentations. You can find
information for this training on his wiki.

David Warlick - Our Students-Our World

David spoke to the idea that our students do not learn like most of us were taught (and learned), therefore we need to change the way we teach to reach our kids. Our world is flat and, it's that way whether we like it or not! :) We've heard it before, but I suspect it'll keep being said until we all hear it "We're teaching 21st century students in 19th century classrooms". Think about that... That goes right along with the theme for my blog... You can find
more information for this training on his blog.

I suspect I will continue to find wonderful sessions. Check back later for more NECC 2008 goodies I've found!

No comments: